The Word Options dialog box is where you can add and change Word settings used within your documents, set your personal information (metadata) stored with the document and any preferences you wish to set. The Word Save Options specifically work with the variables used when saving your documents, such as the format to use when saving, how often to save AutoRecover, AutoRecover file locations, Default local file location, etc. Similar Save Options are available in Excel and PowerPoint as well.
Below are the step by step instructions for accessing and change the Word Save Options.
Accessing the Word Save Options
- Access BackStage by clicking the File tab.
- Once in the BackStage, click Options.
- The Options dialog box will open. Click the Save button, in the left column, to Customize how document are saved.
- The Word Save Options are divided into three groups – Save documents, Offline editing options for document management server files, and Preserve fidelity when sharing this document.
- Save Documents group —
- Save files in this format – Sets the default file format when saving documents.
- Save AutoRecover Information every _________ minutes – Word automatically creates an AutoRecover file at the interval specified. You can set the interval from 1 to 120. This comes in handy if your computer stops responding or loses power. Once your back up and running, the AutoRecover file is opened automatically when you start Word. NOTE: A person can type, format, and edit a lot of information in a short period of time. Make sure you don’t set the number too high, causing you to lose a lot of unsaved information if you run into computer problems.
- Keep the last AutoRecovered version if I close without saving – If you select this option, Word will create an AutoRecover file and keep it once you close Word without saving. The next time you open word, the recovered file will be displayed.
- AutoRecover file location – Lists the default location for AutoRecover files. If you wish to change this, click the Browse button to find the new location and select it. Click OK to save the new default location.
- Don’t show the Backstage when opening or saving files – Toggles on and off the Backstage view. By default, this feature is set to show Backstage.
- Show additional places for saving, even if sign-in may be required – Toggles on and off the ability to see addition locations, including OneDrive and network drives, where you can save documents. By default, this feature is turned on.
- Save to Computer by default – Toggles on and off the default option to save files to your default local folder instead of OneDrive or a network drive. By default, this option is turned off.
- Default local file location – Sets the path you want Word to use to when you first use the Open, Save or Save As commands once you open Word. If you wish to change the location, click the Browse button to find the new location and set it. Click OK to save the new default location.
- Default personal templates location – Set the path you wish to use as the default location for any templates you create or update. If you wish to change the location, type the new location in the box provided.
- Offline editing options for document management server files
- Save checked-out files to – Choose to either save the files to The server drafts location on this computer or The Office Document Cache. The default is The Office Document Cache.
- Server drafts location – Sets the path you want Word to use for your server drafts location. If you wish to change the location, click the Browse button to find the new location and set it. Click OK to save the new default location.
- Preserve fidelity when sharing this document – Preserves the look of your document when sharing with others using other versions of Word. Checking Embed fonts in the file will embed specified fonts into your file, preserving its look. Once checked, the default is Do not embed common system fonts, which you can uncheck if you wish to embed them as well. The other option is Embed only the characters used in the document (best for reducing file size). Choose this option to only embed only those used it the document, which will help keep the size of the document down.
- Once you have made all the needed changes to the Save Options, you can click the OK button to accept them and return to your document.