OneNote’s Tags allow you to organize and prioritize your notes. They enable you to quickly return to important notes and remind yourself about items you need to act upon. The feature also allows you to create custom tags. Once you’ve tagged notes, you can then use the searching feature to find various tags. Utilizing OneNote Tags enable you to become more organized and efficient when using OneNote. Below are the step by step instructions for Tagging Note, Removing Tags from Notes and Searching for Tagged Notes.
- Click at the beginning of the line you wish to tag.
- Click the Home tab.
- Navigate to the Tags group.
- Click the down arrow to choose the necessary tag. For this example, we’ll use the To Do Tag. It can be selected from either the down arrow list or directly from the Tags group.
- Once you select the tag, it will be added to the beginning of the line you selected.
- Continue with the steps above to complete your To Do List. NOTE: You can click the box to check it once the task is completed to check it off.
Removing Tags from Notes
- Navigate to the Note the tag needs to be removed from. NOTE: This note has been tagged as Important.
- Right-click on the tag and select Remove Tag.
- The tag is then removed from the note.
Searching for Tagged Notes
- Click the Home tab.
- Click Find tags in the Tags group.
- The Tags Summary Side bar will open.
- Group Tags by: gives you various options for grouping the found tags. Use the down arrow to select the appropriate group type.
- Check the Show only unchecked items if you wish to only see To Do items not completed.
- The Search: section allows you to choose the range to search, Refresh Results and Create Summary Page.
- Click the down arrow to the right of Today’s notes to choose the range you wish to search. For this example, we’ll select This section.
- Use the scroll bar to the right to scroll through the results.
- Click the down arrow for Group tags by: to group the tags by Tag name, Section, Title, Date or Note text.
- Click Create Summary Page if you need a summary page of the results.
- You can move to a tagged note by clicking on a tag hyperlink within the Tags Summary to access that specific note.