There may be times when you need to record steps or processes you are taking on your computer for a stand-alone demonstration or to incorporate into a Presentation. Instead of purchasing expensive screen recording software, you have the option of using PowerPoint 2016 to record your computer screen. Below are the step by step instructions for Using PowerPoint 2016 to Record your Computer Screen.
Recording Your Computer Screen
- Open PowerPoint.
- Navigate to the slide where you want to add the screen recording. NOTE: If you are saving the recording as a separate file, navigate to a blank slide.
- Click the Insert tab.
- Click Screen Recording within the Media group.
- Your screen will grey and the Control Dock will appear. By default, the audio and mouse pointer are recorded. Click on Audio to turn off the recording of Audio. Click on Record Pointer to turn off the recording of the mouse Pointer.
- Navigate to the active window you wish to record (ALT + Tab to switch between active windows).
- Click Select Area on the Control Dock to select an area to record. NOTE: To record the entire screen, click Windows logo key + Shift + F.
- Once you click Select Area, the cursor will change to a cross-hair. Drag the cross-haired cursor through the area you want to record.
- Once you have the appropriate area selected, click the Record button.
- PowerPoint will count down and start recording.
- Recording Controls:
- Pause – Temporarily stop the recording (Windows logo key + Shift + R)
- Record – Resume Recording (Windows logo key + Shift + R)
- Stop – End Recording (Windows logo key + Shift + Q)
- When you have finished recording, save the Presentation using File, Save. The recording is now embedded into the selected slide.
Saving the Recording as a Separate File
- When you have finished recording, right-click the recording picture within the slide and select Save Media as.
- The Save Media As dialog box will open. Navigate to the appropriate location and name the media file.
- Click Save to save the file.
- The media file has now been saved and can be run independently from PowerPoint.
Trimming the Screen Recording Video
- Right-click on the recording within the PowerPoint Slide and select Trim.
- The Trim Video dialog box will open. Click the Play button to navigate to where you want to trim the video.
- Click the Pause button once you reach the point where you want to cut. Note the position of the pause (2.164 in this example)
- To trim from this point to the beginning of the video, enter the noted position in the Start Time box. Click OK to accept the trim.
- To trim from the end of the clip, click the endpoint (red mark) and drag it to the new end spot (or enter the new end time in the End Time box). Click OK to accept the trim.
- Once you have made the necessary trims, save the presentation or save the screen recording as necessary.