Adding SmartArt, such as organization charts, is a great way to visually represent and organize your information within your document. Below are the step by step instructions for creating a SmartArt Organization Chart in Word 2016.
Adding the Organization Chart
- Place your cursor within the document where you wish to add the organizational char.
- Click the Insert tab.
- Click the SmartArt icon from the Illustrations group.
- The Choose a SmartArt Graphic dialog box will open.
- In the Choose a SmartArt Graphic gallery, choose Hierarchy.
- Click an organizational chart layout and click OK.
- The organization chart is then added to your document.
Adding Boxes to Your Organizational Chart
- Click the box that is closest to where you want to add the new box.
- Click the SmartArt Tools – Design tab.
- Click the arrow next to Add Shape, and then do one of the following –
- Add Shape After – Insert a box at the same level as the selected box, but following it.
- Add Shape Before – Insert a box at the same level as the selected box, but before it.
- Add Shape Above – Insert a box one level above the selected box. This will cause the selected box and all boxes directly below it to be demoted one level.
- Add Shape Below – Insert a box one level below the selected box.
- Add Assistant – Inserts an assistant box.
Entering Text to the Organization Chart
Enter your text using one of the following options:
- Click in a text box in the SmartArt graphic and type your text. Note: For best results, use this option after you have added all the boxes you want.
- Click Text Pane in the Create Graphics group of the SmartArt Tools – Design tab.
- You can also copy the text from another location or program, click [Text] in the SmartArt Text pane, and paste your text.
Deleting Boxes to Your Organizational Chart
Reorganizing Boxes within Your Organizational Chart
- Click on the box you wish to move.
- Select the necessary move option from the Create Graphic group of the SmartArt Tools – Design tab.
- The box is then moved using the selected option.
To learn more about Office applications, please check out my courses at vlbteched.teachable.com.