Adding SmartArt such as organizational charts to your PowerPoint presentation is a great way to visually represent your ideas and information on the screen. It allows the audience to literally “see” the information you are trying to convey. Below are the step-by-step instructions for creating and working with a PowerPoint SmartArt Organizational Chart.
Adding SmartArt Organizational Chart
- Select the slide to contain the SmartArt.
- Click the SmartArt icon on the slide. Note: You can also click the Insert tab on the ribbon and click SmartArt from the Illustrations group.
- In the Choose a SmartArt Graphic gallery, choose Hierarchy.
- Click an organizational chart layout and click OK.
- Enter your text using one of the following options:
- Click in a text box in the SmartArt graphic and type your text. Note: For best results, use this option after you have added all the boxes you want.
- Click [Text] in the SmartArt Text pane and type your text. Or, Copy the text from another location or program, click [Text] in the SmartArt Text pane, and paste your test. Note: If the SmartArt Text pane is not open, click Text Pane from the Create Graphic group on the SmartArt Tools – Design tab.
Adding Boxes to Your Organizational Chart
- Click the box that is closest to where you want to add the new box.
- Click the SmartArt Tools – Design tab.
- Click the arrow next to Add Shape, and then do one of the following –
- Add Shape After – Insert a box at the same level as the selected box, but following it.
- Add Shape Before – Insert a box at the same level as the selected box, but before it.
- Add Shape Above – Insert a box one level above the selected box. This will cause the selected box and all boxes directly below it to be demoted one level.
- Add Shape Below – Insert a box one level below the selected box.
- Add Assistant – Inserts an assistant box.
- Type the text in the SmartArt Text pane.
Deleting Boxes within Your Organizational Chart
Click the border of the box you want to delete and press Delete.
To learn more about Office applications, please check out my courses at vlbteched.teachable.com.